To Kill a Mockingbird – Vocabulary Spellings
- Abolition – The act of formally putting an end to a system or practice.
- Alabama – A state in the south east of the USA.
- Atticus Finch – Father of Jem and Scout; a lawyer; kind, honest and fair.
- Bildungsroman – A ‘coming of age’ story that focuses on the growth of the protagonist from child to adult.
- Boo Radley – A misunderstood recluse who has been shut away for much of his life.
- Calpurnia – The well-educated black cook who works for the Finch family; she is firm but kind.
- Caste system – The division of people into groups that have particular privileges and functions within society.
- Civil rights – Entitlement to political and social freedom and equality.
- Compassion – Sympathy or concern for the suffering of others.
- Courage – The ability to face something frightening; bravery.