The BBC have published some great images of the first illustrations for A Christmas Carol.
This essay provides some additional insights into A Christmas Carol. It shouldn’t take long. There is a challenge task at the bottom. Please print in the resource centre at school.
- Research 5 facts about how Christmas is treated today
- Use high level vocabulary
- Write it as an article
- Use full and varied punctuation
- Use the language techniques referenced – if you don’t know what they are, ask your teacher or better still, look them up!
Task – Read the extract carefully
Question: How does Will Crooks use language to try to convey his disgust at the conditions of the workhouse? (12 marks)
You would need to look for:
- specific language techniques
- the impact of individual words and phrases
- Sentences only if relevant
The main thing to think about in each paragraph is: What (What language), How (quotation), Why (Effect on reader and the writer’s intention).
Top Tips from the Exam Board:
- You must analyse the effects of the language. Without this, you will gain very few marks.
- The clear message is that the subject terms can only ever enhance the language analysis and cannot replace it. The best responses explore in detail the effect of specific words and phrases.
- Only analyse at a sentence level if you are sure they have something pertinent to say.
- When analysing the impact of individual words, make sure your analysis is in context e.g analysing the word in terms of its relevance in the quote
Ensure that you include all of the features of an article and follow the success criteria:
- Formal language
- Technical accuracy (paragraphs and punctuation)
- Use of the raise your game facts
- Use of the high level vocabulary
AQA-style Language Paper 2:
Writers’ Viewpoints and Perspectives
Read the attached article and answer questions 1 and 2.
See your teacher if you will struggle to access this.
Year 7- Due 8th November